Saturday 18 June 2016

Not Teaching: Week -2

I am taking a year off of teaching. Presently, there are two weeks left of school. (One for exams, one for promotion meetings, inventory, phone calls, etc) Why a year off afterwards? See my 2013 post “Year of Hell”. However, I plan to run a weekly blog over the coming year, because sure, why not have updates 3 times per week instead of twice!


Previous INDEX Next

It was pointed out to me on Friday that I’ve taught my last classes until 2017. That hasn’t really sunk in, partly because I have a few other things going on in my life (which I don’t feel like sharing publicly just yet). I don't do emotions well. Maybe I'm in denial.

Item counts run Sunday (June 12) to Saturday (June 18).

Step Count: Over 48,600??
I forgot my pedometer at home on Tuesday, for only the third time all year (first time in 2016). It kind of made me want to cry. I’m getting rather emotional for a variety of reasons lately. Thank you to those who have expressed concern.


Desk at Work: Binders are away. Marking's at home.

Teaching Related Items (from Sun to Sat):
 -Generated an exam review for one class, modified one for another
 -Finished grading a set of tests by Wednesday
 -Made some calls related to missing Summative projects
 -Finished grading two more sets of tests by Thursday
 -Generated mark reports for all students prior to exams
 -Did more “Cubic Formula” work, regarding discriminant


Desk at Home: Papers to grade.

Writing/Art Related Items (from Sun to Sat):
 -Joined a Web Serial Twitter chat on Sunday night.
 -Finished drawing/inking a math comic by Monday; also scripted the next
 -Paths Not Taken, a post about my “vote for plot” serial is queued.
 -“Time & Tied” had some editing done to it, first time since mid-April.
 -The last 2,300 words on my Sunday web serial.
 -This post. Written at the above desk.

Other items (not teaching or writing):
 -Went out to dinner with friends on Monday
 -Bought and mailed a Father’s Day card
 -Dietician appointment on Wednesday was cancelled, but I didn’t check my voicemail 24 hours in advance, so that was an hour of travel time shot
 -Doctor’s appointment on Thursday
 -Doctor’s appointment on Saturday
 -Watched some NCIS:New Orleans with my wife, because Scott Bakula.

MUST DO items in the coming week:
 -Finish drawing/inking a math comic by Monday.
 -Finish grading a set of tasks by Monday.
 -Finish grading a set of Summatives (1)
 -Start & Finish grading a set of Summatives (2)
 -Start & Finish grading a set of Summatives (3)
 -Start & Finish grading a set of Data Reports
 -Start grading a set of Exams (1)
 -Start grading a set of Exams (2)
 -Start grading a set of Exams (3)
 -Queue up “Time & Tied” as my new running web serial by Friday


"Beautiful" is relative, it's 32 C outside, warmer in the classes.

WOULD BE NICE items:
 -Start doing three class sets of report card comments (*New)
 -Start doing three class sets of report card learning strategies (*New)
 -Post about Cubic Formula oddities
 -Post recap about OAME (from May)
 -Post recap about Math PD (from Feb)
 -Housework (mow lawn - this is getting put off too much)
 -See about getting a roofer for reshingling (*New)
 -Catch up with #OttSlowChat on Twitter
 -Catch up with web serials I’ve enjoyed
 -Write a TANDQ article on Decision Fatigue
 -Sign up for a summer yoga or fitness class
 -Post recap about CAN-CON (from Oct)
 -Get a banner done for my T&T story
 -Recreate a buffer for my math comic
 -Update my Twitter Profile graphic
 -Create video for Cubic Formula song
 -Do some editing on my T&T story
 -Actually market some of my creative stuff
 -Catch up on “Sailor Moon Crystal” (no spoilers!)
 -Catch up on “Bones” (no spoilers!)
 -Get back onto tumblr
 -Read some of the books sitting at my desk

Report cards! I can barely process that yet. And that’s where I’m at, halfway into June, with 2 weeks left of the 2015-16 school year. Come back next week to see what got done. #StillInSchool

Previous INDEX Next

No comments:

Post a Comment