Monday 18 May 2015

Twitterati Challenge

So first a thanks to Chris Smith (@aap03102) in Scotland for including me in his five “Twitter Stars” one week ago, following his own nomination by @mathsjem.

Just like when I was nominated for the “Sunshine Award”, I decided to do a little supplemental research. What made that easy is Chris’ link there to Teacher Toolkit (Ross McGill) which seemed to be the start. And a look back at the hashtag #TwitteratiChallenge would support that - it began Apr 29, the day of that post. Seems the challenge is not subject or level specific, merely something to encourage social media links among educators.

That said, the first thing that gave me pause upon reading the original instructions, was how, at one point, it says “you reading this must either: a)”... and then there’s never an option (b). I suspect this missing option had something to do with donating to a charity? That comes up in a postscript, and then a few other posts. Yet no one seems to comment on the missing (b). Huh.

The second interesting thing was how, in tracking back from @mathsjem, the whole “drink” aspect (steps 3 and 4) immediately disappeared (replaced by “as I am a rebel, I nominate everyone”, which is rather ironic, as everyone became said rebel). Yet the “drink” thing was there at the start, so I suppose @mathsjem, like me, jumped back to the original post too. For the curious, I’ve put the full chain towards me at the bottom of this post.

Let’s start in.


INTRO: In the spirit of social-media-educator friendships, this summer it is time to recognize your most supportive colleagues in a simple blogpost shout-out. Whatever your reason, these 5 educators should be your 5 go-to people in times of challenge and critique, or for verification and support.


RULES


There are only 3 rules.
1. You cannot knowingly include someone you work with in real life.
2. You cannot list somebody that has already been named if you are already made aware of them being listed on #TwitteratiChallenge.
3. You will need to copy and paste the title of this blogpost, the rules, and what to do information into your own blog post.


WHAT TO DO


If you would like to participate with your own list, here’s how:
1. Within 7 days of being nominated by somebody else, you need to identify colleagues that you rely on, or go to for support and challenge.
2. You need to write your own #TwitteratiChallenge blogpost. (If you do not have your own blog, try @StaffRm.)
3. As the educator nominated, that means that you reading this must either: a) record a video of themselves in continuous footage and announce their acceptance of the challenge, following by a pouring of your (chosen) drink over a glass of ice.
4. Then, the drink is to be lifted with a ‘cheers’ before the participant nominates their five other educators to participate in the challenge.
5. The educator that is now newly nominated has 7 days to compose their own #TwitteratiChallenge blogpost (use the hashtag) and identify who their top 5 go-to educators are.

*Some prior posts list steps 3 & 4 as optional for the “technically challenged”.
**It’s optional to make a donation to a chosen charity or to identify one or two charities that may be of interest to others.
The only thing I drink with ice is water. Cheers!


FIVE TWITTERATI


I don’t “go to” these days, I more lurk and respond, but whatever. Under no obligation to continue this in any way, my five social media educators are:

Christopher Danielson (@Trianglemancsd)

He’s run an online course on Functions (which I didn’t take) and one on decimals (which I blogged about). He’s written a book about Common Core for Parents. He runs a blog about “Talking Math With Your Kids” (#tmwyk). He challenges your thinking to the point where I’m sure he’s done a bunch of other stuff I’m less aware of. On the personal side, he once asked me about my depression, after a post here. Basically, great guy, check him out.

John Golden (@mathhombre)

He’s been on my watch list since the “Mystery Teacher Theatre” co-venture days. He reads the research but doesn’t let it rule him. I was able to spend some time with him at “Twitter Math Camp 2014”, and he’s great in person too. He even comments on some of my fiction writing, which doesn’t really have anything to do with educating - but has everything to do with more feedback.

Audrey McLaren (@a_mcsquared)

She knows about flipped classes, how to use Twitter lists, and if I decide to try GeoGebra, she’d be someone with answers. She can probably answer gardening questions too. Plus she can think like a logarithm, and is another person who’s enjoyed my more recreational writing.

Chris Burke (@mrburkemath)

The only person on this list I haven’t actually met in person, he runs the (x, why?) online math comic which recently hit update 1,001. And that’s just for the comics - he also blogs about other things mathematical, including the Regents and he’s been part of the 30 day blogging challenge. I sense we have a compatible sense of humour.

Hedge (@approx_normal)

I haven’t spoken much with her recently, but she was there in tough times, and I know she’s reached out to others the same way. She’s observant, and helpful - and she likes statistics, so you can follow her for that alone. (And if you go to her session at ‘Twitter Math Camp’, maybe you’ll get a green frog.)


There’s obviously a few other names I could mention (including some local people, but I didn’t feel like toeing the line of ‘rule 1’), so we’ll call it there. But know that if you’re reading this, odds are you would have made the list, were it longer. Thanks!


Square Root and Cotangent, also connecting
Now, for the purists, the backtrack blogs:
-To me, from @aap03102 (Chris Smith, above)... which was:
Via @mathsjem,
via @aegilopoides
via @KDWScience,
via @Chocotzar,
via @heatherleatt,
via @MaryMyatt,
via @cherrylkd, From SOURCE (TeacherToolkit, above).

You can also find @Sue_Cowley’s May 11th compilation here, and I've seen @JillBerry102 often pop up in association with the hashtag.

The Twitterati Challenge started in the UK, I saw it hopped to the US back on May 14 (after my nomination, but I’m slow); I guess we’ll see if it survives this particular branch across the Atlantic ocean. Thanks again for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment